Here are 9 steps to protect your family:
1. Avoid hand touching and hand shaking. If physical contact is necessary we recommend a fist bump or an elbow bump.
2. Knuckles Only. Use your knuckles to touch things like light switches, elevator buttons. When handling items that have a high volume of people touching them like a gasoline pump, use a paper towel or a disposable glove.
3. When opening doors use a closed fist or your hip. Avoiding grabbing the door handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door.
4. Use disinfectant wipes. Wipe down the handles and child seating area in the grocery cart.
5. Wash your hands for 20-30 seconds or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer when you get home.
Here is an article from the CDC on how to make handwashing a family activity.
6. Keep a few bottles of hand sanitizer in different locations such as your home’s entrance, car, and work desk.
7. Cough and sneeze into a disposable tissue. If you don’t have one on hand the best thing to do is to use your elbow.
8. Stay home if you’re not feeling well. Or if your kids are.
9. Keep calm and breathe!
Here are 4 ways to prepare your family.
1. Talk to your kids about what’s going on. To learn more about how to approach this topic here is an article on childmind.org about how to talk to your kids about the coronavirus.
2. Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves for use from when going shopping, using the gasoline pump, and all other outside activity when you come in contact with contaminated areas.
3. Surgical masks. The masks will NOT prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth it will only keep you from touching your nose or mouth. Did you know we touch our nose and mouth about 90 times per day without knowing it?
4. Hand sanitizers and disposable gloves. Make sure that your hand sanitizers are alcohol-based and greater than 60% alcohol to be effective.
Here’s how to make your own hand sanitizer at home:
-Aloe vera gel
-Tea tree oil or any other essential oil you’d like
Mix 3 parts isopropyl alcohol to 1 part aloe vera gel. Add a few drops of essential oil to give it a pleasant scent.